Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Time for a Change

Hi friends! 
It feels so good to be back even though this past week was a much needed break. 
I muted on my blog and my social channels to give BIPOC voices the platform they deserve!
I didn't post too many things on social, but I want you to know there was so much going on behind the scenes to make me a better ally to the Black community. This past week was honestly SUPER eye opening. I listened to podcasts, watched documentaries, had conversations with friends, diversified my feed, looked into organizations to donate to (that I will be donating to by weeks end), challenged myself/thoughts and so much more. I did all of these things to make myself a better ally and to fight to make our country equally just! It wasn't always comfortable, but things need to get uncomfortable for there to be change! 
It's such a pivotal time in our country and I hope to be even a small part of a BIG revolution.
As we get back to "normal" content and posting, I want you to know that things will never be "normal" in the way that we knew it to be. 2020 has been such a wild ride. While I will share some things on social media I want you to know there is still so much going on offline. There has to be a change in this country and if I have learned anything this week it's that all lives can't matter until Black lives matter and I am here to make sure that happens! 

I had actually planned to share an outfit, but after writing how I feel that doesn't feel right. 
Instead I will make this a resource blog post.
I'll share some things that have been helpful in the last week as well as new content creators I have discovered. 
Watch:
13th
I watched this on Netflix this past weekend and it was so eye opening.
When They See Us
This is next on my to watch list
The Hate U Give
This was recommended by a podcast I listen to
Time: The Kalief Browder Story
They talk about this briefly in 13th and I immediately added it to my list. I also told all my friends they have to watch.
If Beale Street Could Talk
I've been wanting to watch this for some time! I think I will probably watch this Saturday. 
Listen:
1916
This is a podcast I saw on so many list circulating last week. I started it on Monday and it was good so far. 
Code Switch
This is one I saw on a bunch of instagram recommendations.
Just the SIP
Specifically An Honest Conversation About Race episode.
Read:
White Fragility by Robin Diangelo
This is at the top of my list when I make my next book order. (I order multiple books at a time usually.)
The Hate You Give  by Angie Thomas
I'm Still Here by Austin Channing Brown
Follow:
I'm linking some of my favorite POC influencers. Some I have followed for a while and some are new to me. 
I have been following her for years! I am not a gal that loves color for myself, but love seeing others that can pull it off! She can DEFINITELY pull it off. 
She is a new follow for me, but I am obsessed!! She has the cutest family and is due literally any day with baby boy number 4!!!
Another new follow for me. I LOVE her neutral style! Seriously want all of her outfits hanging in my closet! 
This girl is literally the freaking cutest!! Been following her for a while too. I love her Q&A videos! 

There are so many other good resources out there. I will make it a point to continue to update this post. If you follow me on instagram I will let you know when I do and share more info there.
I appreciate y'all for reading and I hope you find this helpful. We have to keep learning, listening and changing so that we can make a change in this country! 
As I said in my original post on Instagram: I see you. I hear you. I stand with you. And I'm open!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment