Wednesday, November 1, 2017

NYC Travel Diary Part 3: What To Do

Happy Hump Day!
Today we continue our NYC travel diary with what to do. There are literally hundreds of things to do. I feel like no matter how many times you visit there is always something new to do the next time you go. (I feel like this is also true if you live there. I’ve never met anyone that’s like “yeah I’m good I think I’ve done all there is to do in the city.”)
I said in my intro I was going to try and keep these posts to things/places from this past trip but, here is where I will add a few extras.
Statue of Liberty: I had never done this until this last trip and I would highly recommend it. You get to take a nice little boat ride over to the island that provides AMAZING views of the city. Once you get there you can pickup a headset to do a guided tour or just go off and do your own thing. (J and I opted for the later.) We got to go inside and see the museum and walk up to the pedestal. I wanted to do the crown but tickets were already sold out. (Buy your tickets way in advance if this is something you want to do. I bought ours about 2 months ahead of time and tickets for the crown were sold out through November 1st.) After you explore Liberty Island you can take a ferry to Ellis Island or back to Manhattan. We went back to the city because we had other plans but, next time I would probably do Ellis Island. I would mark off a big chunk of your day if you plan on doing both.  

Broadway Show: I am obsessed with Broadway! I try and see a show every time I’m in the city. This time I saw Cats and I was literally the happiest girl in the world. This was a show I always wanted to see and when it went away a few years ago I was so sad. When we were planning our trip I told J “The only thing I care about doing is going to see Cats. We can do whatever you want the rest of the time but I HAVE to see that show!” Next on my list is Hamilton. If you need any recs let me know. I’ve seen more than a few Broadway shows.

Central Park: If this is your first time in the city, or your 100th time visiting, I always think Central Park is a must. It’s huge, so there are always new things to explore. Some of my favorites are grabbing a drink at the Boathouse, seeing the Alice in Wonderland statue, bringing a blanket, some snacks and a bottle of champs for a picnic, or during the holiday season watching all the skaters at Wollman rink.

The High Line: Speaking of parks and walking around, The High Line is possibly my favorite spot in the city. Not sure what it is but I just love it!  I try and make it over to walk at least a little bit every time I visit. It’s built on the old railroad tracks and goes through Meatpacking and Chelsea neighborhoods on the West side.

Brooklyn Bridge/Brooklyn: I’ve walked the Brooklyn Bridge a few times but never actually made it into Brooklyn until this last trip. I walked around Dumbo the first day I was there and loved it so much I took J back a few days later. The highlight of my Dumbo experience was seeing where Dan from Gossip Girl lived! There are amazing views of the city, lots of cute restaurants and shops, and a nice walking path. (Tip: Walk across the bridge early in the morning for fewer crowds. If you can make it to watch the sunrise it’s awesome. I did it one time in college and it was AWESOME! When you’re done exploring Brooklyn rather than walking back, take the ferry!)



Top of the Rock: I think it’s important to go to Top of the Rock, top of the Empire State Building, or One World Trade Observatory at least once. Personally Top of the Rock is my favorite because you can see all the iconic buildings. (Empire, Chrysler, One World Trade) I didn’t go this past time but I’ve done it a few times.  (Tip:  Go about an hour before sunset so you can see the city during the day, watch the sunset, and then see it all lit up at night!)


9/11 Memorial and Museum: This is probably the thing I would put at the top of your list! I went to the museum 3 years ago when I lived there and it is so moving. It is beautifully done, and I really can’t recommend this enough. Make sure to check out the memorial fountains before or after your visit to the Museum. There’s one for each tower, and they have each persons name engraved on them that lost their life that day. (Tip: Have dinner planned or some other activity because this can make you feel very somber.)


Time Square: I only suggest this if you’ve never been before because I think it’s something everyone should see once. I avoid this area at all costs but, actually ran through it this past trip because a friend of mine had never been. If crowds aren’t your thing I would advise really thinking about if you need to see this!  (Tip: Go late at night when it’s less crowded and you can really see all the lights.)
I’m going to stop here, because like I said, this is a subject I could go on and on and on about! If you’ve done all these things and need other suggestions just let me know!
Thank you so much for stopping by and reading my travel diary. It really means so much!

Check back tomorrow for one of my favorite topics…FOOD!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment