Thursday, November 2, 2017

NYC Travel Diary Part 4: FOOD!!

As promised today we are talking about one of my favorite topics…FOOD!! There is definitely no shortage of places to eat in NYC, and I challenge you to venture outside your comfort zone and try new things. I definitely have my go to places when I’m there that I will be sharing with you, however, I always love trying new places.
Blockheads: This is usually the first stop when I get to town if I get in at night. You probably can’t tell by the name but it’s Mexican food. I love their quesadillas and tacos but, the real reason I go is for the drinks. They have something called a French bulldog; which is kind of like a margarona. Instead of a corona they put a split of champagne in there! I discovered this place the first Friday night I lived in the city with my best friend and I’m so glad we did.

Tompkins Square Bagel : Everyone knows that New York is known for it’s bagels and there is no shortage of bagel places. While there is a bagel place on every corner I feel like most people have their bagel place they like the best. Tompkins Square bagel is MY bagel place. Their sourdough bagels are amazing with any of their cream cheeses. If you are looking for something a little more on the lunch side go with their chipotle chicken salad. And if you are craving something sweet, you have to try my absolute favorite…a cinnamon toast crunch bagel with chocolate chip cookie dough cream cheese! It’s seriously life changing, and you will crave all of these things long after you leave NYC. (Tip: I usually get two bagels, a breakfast bagel to eat now, and a chicken salad bagel to take home for lunch. This place can have extremely long lines on Saturdays and Sundays, but I promise it’s worth the wait. They are also a cash only restaurant, so make sure to stop at the ATM; or they have one you can use inside. Last if it’s a nice day, Tompkins Square Park is right across the street and a great place to sit and indulge in your delicious bagel.

Aria Wine Bar: J and I went here before our Broadway show and the food was amazing. (My best friends sister suggested it and she is NEVER wrong when it comes to good food recommendations.) They have an amazing pasta and wine menu so; it’s perfect for date night. It’s also in Hell’s Kitchen, which is close to the theatre district if you are heading to a show.

Melt Shop: This is another one of my go to places in the city. It’s all different kinds of grilled cheese and tator tots! Who could go wrong with those two options? They also have a Nuetella fluff milk shake that is out of this world. I usually opt for the truffle melt, because I can’t turn down anything with truffle oil, and some shop tots. If it’s really cold I’ll get a tomato soup instead.


Lilly’s Craft &Kitchen: This was a new one for me this trip and it did not disappoint. We went for brunch on Saturday and got bottomless mimosas and breakfast quesadillas. Everything was delicious and I believe the drink deal was $20 for an hour and half of bottomless mimosas, screwdrivers and bloody Mary’s.

$1 Pizza: This is a staple after any night out in NYC. Like bagel places pizza places in the city are a dime a dozen. You should be able to find a late night place almost anywhere you are. I typically go for white pizza if they have it. No one does white pizza like NYC!

Levain Bakery: I’m sure you have seen their infamous chocolate chip cookies all over the Internet and instagram! I finally made it there this trip, and although the line was pretty long for cookies, I am so glad I waited. I will go on record and say it’s probably one of the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever had.

These were just some of the places I ate this trip. Since there are sooooo many places to eat in the city I’ll leave a few more suggestions below.
Tomorrow we wrap things up with nightlife. How appropriate since it’s Friday tomorrow?!
Brunch: 
Intermezzo super fun drag brunch
Friend of a Farmer AMAZING pancakes and everything else
Jack's Wife Freda super instagramable love the avocado toast
The Doughnut Project: They totally sucked me in with their prosecco doughnut. It was equally as pretty as it was tasty! 
Lunch & Dinner: 
Eataly good food and during the holiday season they turn their rooftop into a super cute ski lodge
Tao Uptown: Good sushi and super fun environment 
Becco: Some of the best pasta I have ever had. They have a great deal that's an $100 (I think) and includes an app, salads, endless pasta and a bottle of wine for 2 people. 
Ben's Deli: If you have never been to a true NYC deli I totally recommend going. I used to work around the corner from here and would get their matzo ball soup all the time! 
Sweet Treats:
 Magnolia Bakery They are known for their banana pudding but I die for their cupcakes. I would always get 2...one for now and one for later.
Big Gay Ice Cream Shop: Love how colorful this place is and obviously the ice cream is good too!
Laduree: Macarons are one of my favorite desserts. Grab some to go or stay and have some sweets and tea. It's super cute inside.
Baked by Melissa: I love their cupcakes because they are so tiny so you can eat at least 3! Maybe 4!
Serendipity 3: I love the movie Serendipity and if you couldn't tell I try and visit places from some of my favorite movies/TV shows in the city. The frozen hot chocolate made me love the movie even more. 




No comments:

Post a Comment